David Patrick Helmey is a litigation attorney providing services to the firm’s clients in defending personal injury, property damage, and wrongful death claims, as well as contract litigation and related matters.
Mr. Helmey began working as a Law Clerk for The Fuentes Firm in February 2014. He graduated cum laude from the University of Houston Law Center, where he focused on litigation and alternative dispute resolution. He attended the evening program, completing in four years while working full-time in various legal-related real estate positions. During law school, he was a member of the Houston Law Center Alternative Dispute Resolution Competition Team, competing in interscholastic negotiation, mediation, and arbitration competitions.
Mr. Helmey is originally from Oklahoma City. Prior to law school, he attended Georgetown University for his undergraduate degree, obtaining a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology in 2006. After graduating, he relocated to the Houston area where he spent many years gaining experience in the oil and gas and real estate fields as a landman, and later a real estate title analyst for several law firms and a title company.
- Dash Cams Why You Should Have Them and Why Your Drivers Should Want Them
- Texas Supreme Court Holds Evidence of Seat-Belt Non-Use Admissible to Show Plaintiff’s Comparative Fault.
- Supreme Court of Texas
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Torts, Trials, and Insurance Section, Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee, Vice Chair
- Texas Trucking Association
Conferences & Seminars
- American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section Conference, April 26th-29th, 2017
- DRI Trucking Law Seminar, April 14-15, 2016
- 4th Annual Fall Continuing Education Seminar, Rimkus Consulting Group, Inc., September 25th, 2014
- Damages in your Personal Injury Case: Using Experts Effectively, September 24, 2014
Speaking Engagements and Presentations
- Legislative update, Texas Trucking Association, Houston Chapter monthly luncheon, April 19th, 2017